Monday, April 18, 2011

Thinking through it

You may remember my post about our drab bedroom from over here. I've been trying to come up with some cheap ways to freshen up the bedroom with a near to none budget. I'm rather stuck. The light is VERY dim in there because the window faces the neighbors siding. The paint is a dingy green and the trim is off white. I'm not a huge fan of our country orange stained bedroom set but I can live with it for now. I just wish there was a way to balance out the tones. My dream bed would be something like the farmhouse canopy set from Pottery Barn…but alas, my pocket does not have several thousand to dish out of a bed. Thus begins BRAINSTORMING SESSION:
There were few color combinations that I could think of that matched the green with the orange wood. The coral and sea green mixture is light and refreshing in the inspiration picture I found via Martha Stewart.
 
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:
This option is the most practical because it works with what's there. I don’t feel entirely confident that it would pull together well however. I would move our pink chair from the living room to the bedroom for a reading chair and possibly purchase the inexpensive table from urban outfitters and maybe pop a full length mirror in the corner for functionality.
 
WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT IT:
It’s not very “us” and most definitely not very Charley. I shudder to think of even mentioning using a “pink” color in our bedroom. The colors along with our country furniture are just a little too beach comber for our more modern tastes.
 
3636

Option two involves us selling the bedroom set. It’s solid wood and in good condition, if we found the right buyer we could afford something that matched our tastes a little more. I am definitly a bit more in love with the inspiration picture in this one.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:

this would be a worthier effort to try to define our space. The grey is both warm and relaxing and fits the need for a little masculinity in our bedroom. It’s also not horribly expensive with the bedframe purchase from ikea at 50$ and a custom made headboard. It would match our current duvet cover and we could purchase an inexpensive grey box pleat bed skirt. I would sew a blanket of the Robert Allen Ikat fabric and probably get some soft lambs wool for our feet as we get out of bed.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT IT:

It’s not feasible Sad smileAs far as we know we are not allowed to paint. We’re stuck with green unless we could convince the landlords otherwise. We’d also have to wait to sell our bedroom set.

 

iw3t4

Option three would involve making a bit more money off of selling our bedroom furniture. It would be to switch to dark wood to compliment the already green room. Ikea has a wonderful canopy bed for $299. We would also need a dark dresser like the HEMMES (another $299) or we could use our two tone dresser from upstairs.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:

I will never grow tired of green and white. They are my two favorite colors. The idea of new furnishings is also quite tempting. I love the idea of having an oversized vase on the floor next to some reading materials like the beautiful picture taken from the inspiring “Solid Frog” blog.  Plus it involves no painting!

WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT IT:

Spending the $$$ on new furniture If we have perfectly functional pieces already. We could probably sell the set for enough to cover costs or only pay a small amount possibly. Plus there is the fear of IKEA furniture..they might be more our tastes but will they hold up?

I would GREATLY CHERISH your OPINIONS...help...warnings...snarky comments....ideas....anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...