Saturday, March 5, 2011

Block Print Fabric


Block prints are becoming very popular. I saw a pillow in a window of a designer store in Charleston and immediately wanted to make my own. I don't have a picture but heres a lovely example of an ornate block print by Pottery Barn :

Rica Paisley Pillow Cover, 24", Terra Cotta
West Elm even has a little section devoted to block prints here : http://www.westelm.com/shop/bedding-bath/block-prints-bedding/?cm_type=gnav
I started with a little doodle, it's not exactly like the on from the window but close enough. Next I picked up a Litho board and found my little carving set. Using a ruler I penciled in measurements and drew the pattern onto the board with a sharpie.


Next, you dig out the litho around your design. I used a straight cutter to traces the straight edges and gouged toward the design.

 I wanted to test to see if it was deep enough so i washed some watercolor on it and pressed it in my sketch book- fail. Apparently water to pigment ratio is important. You need something that is thicker...so then i tested with some acrylic paint. It got the rustic hand pressed look I was going for but it also showed me some places I had missed.
Next stop, laying it out on some fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...