Sunday, December 5, 2010

The North Carolina Renaissance Faire

A tradition of the Scruggs is to go to the Renaissance Festival just outside of Charlotte, NC. Here we are from our 2009 outing:
 
 
 ren4
We missed last years trip, so we were eager to go. Like most things dorky, the fun quadruplifies with friends, so we invited our comrades Abby and Danny and a few others. Danny was the photographer for our wedding and also the guitarist for The Sea Wolf Mutiny. Abby is his beautiful girlfriend, who’s just plain ol sweet and awesome to hang out with.
I had mad a second rennaisance dress a short while ago (because who needs just one?). The fabric was a wopping 3 dollars a yard and had been sitting in my fabric box for some time. Abby needed a costume, so I hemmed the new dress to her height. I think Danny will agree that she looked like the real deal in it. I say this not to brag on my sewing but to brag that Abby could have been a renaissance model for court-wear back in the day. In fact she had someone ask her if she worked at the park.
The dress was based off of the Red Dress from Everafter. It’s the one where she goes to break up with Henry in the ruins…(where she could have saved herself a lot of heartache with a little healthy communication). Anyways, I altered the simplicity pattern (picture below, right) adding some darts along the bust for some extra shape. In the back I added an opening so the bodice could be laced up via ribbon and grommits. The zipper is hidden where the grommits end to allow extra room for getting in and out. I made gauntlts for the sleeves as pictured but only had one finished so she skipped those.
 
Abby was doing such a great job as a personal barbie doll that she even let me do my hair. We tucked it in a bun and attatched the snood with bobby pins. The snood was actually a belt that I had as a teen. Oh the things I used to wear…
 
DSC_0033DSC_0036DSC_0038DSC_0034DSC_0048DSC_0043DSC_0085DSC_0054
DSC_0024
 
I made the cloak that Mac (below, left)  is wearing as well a long time ago. Charley (below, right) wore a graduation robe and halloween cape with his carnival mask. He creeped out more than a few wary-eyed children with the mask on.
 
DSC_0088DSC_0086fifhDSC_0099DSC_0106DSC_0118DSC_0121DSC_0001DSC_0124P1010078P1010091P1010084DSC_0015DSC_0126
 

1 comment:

  1. So fun! We really wanted to go this year, but it didn't work out... let us know if you go again next year, maybe we can meet you there!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...