Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Charleston Artist: Mary Whyte

Mary Whyte's work is everywhere in Charleston. She’s a watercolor expert and

she has a new exhibit at the Gibbes Museum of art for the Working South Series ( I say new, but it’s been up for a while). It’s running through Sept 9th and it’s definitely worth seeing her work in person.

Keith Claussen from an article for the Augusta states concisely:

Mary Whyte has focused on images of people whose blue-collar lives in the rural South seldom gain notice in today’s celebrity-driven, high-tech culture. From the textile mill worker and tobacco farmer to the sponge diver and elevator operator, she has sought out and documented the faces of people whose traditional livelihoods are fast disappearing.

(article here)

 

Paper Carrier

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...