Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It doesn't have to make sense....


Everyone should keep a sketchbook!! Okay, maybe not everyone (did my thoughts suddenly fly to my husband??). I guess what I want to say is: if you're a musician: experiment your notes, if you're a philosopher: write your thoughts, if you're a foody: log your experiences. I think of the sketchbook like a journal. For artsy people, this is writing, comprehending and processing. Without a place to express our visual needs, we (the artist) don't grow. I've heard so many people say that they shy away from drawing in a sketchbook because it becomes something that they want to show people...then comes the pressure. It's no longer about your ideas, it's about what you think other people will think is cool.




I've learned that I have a sketchbook, it is solely for myself. It contains my ideas on the fly. I don't worry about if they make sense, I don't worry about what they look like. If I like a certain idea, I know i'll come back to it and make it look better. The blank pages are for doodles an thoughts that I need to jot down so I can sort through things and gain better insight. I don't believe the finished product should ever end in the sketchbook. I thought I'd post a few silly things from old sketchbooks (I might regret this?)...and it definitely feels like I'm revealing my private ideas and thoughts. Kind of like "hey world, heres my diary"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...