Sunday, August 23, 2009

painting process for alpine trees...


my paints are kept in an old suitcase that my brother rescued from a water damage job.
phase 1, laid out the "under colors"
Phase two, added on some complimentary "undercolors". The unreal bright primarys provide a base for a deeper color. Their opposites are added on top in layers of tranlucent washes. The problem encountered here is possible scrape off with the watered down acrylics.
the next step was to paint on the last "layer" which involved the complimentary colors over the base colors to create rich varieties of browns. The build up continued, and chunky bits were added with the palette knife for effect. The highlighted grass is made by litte scratches with the tip of the knife, while the bottom corners are build up by slathering on paint mixed with modeling medium. As an experiment i added string and a dryersheet underneath the paint for texture.
I was unsatisfied with the final outcome, but in a hurry to be through, i went on to the final step. I added a two coat glaze varnish over the whole thing. This helped balance out the plasticy look of the acrylics. I love the effects oils give alot more, but for $'s sake...I have to stick with acrylics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! They make my day....really I click to check for them like I have no life...